[R-sig-ME] glmer does not converge, how inaccurate is using nAGQ = 0?

Ken Beath ken.beath at mq.edu.au
Thu Apr 2 00:06:06 CEST 2015

You could use a value of nAGQ that is higher, start with 5 and work up.

How good the approximation is, depends. If you are having convergence
problems it probably isn't.

On 2 April 2015 at 01:23, Paolo Fraccaro <paolo.f.genova at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a dataset of ~200k piece of hardware tested yearly for 10 years or
> until failure (~15k). Therefore, the overall dataset size is ~2,000k. I'm
> trying to fit a mixed effects logistic model with glmer, but the model
> does not converge with the default settings. I tried to increase the
> number of max iterations allowed (from 20 to 100) but still it does not
> converge. I then set the nAGQ = 0 and obtained the less accurate estimate
> of the model.
>
> My questions would be:
> Do you have any idea of what parameters I could modify to try to make the
> model converge?
> How inaccurate is using nAGQ = 0?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Paolo

*Ken Beath*
Lecturer
Statistics Department
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY NSW 2109, Australia

Phone: +61 (0)2 9850 8516

Building E4A, room 526
http://stat.mq.edu.au/our_staff/staff_-_alphabetical/staff/beath,_ken/

CRICOS Provider No 00002J
This message is intended for the addressee named and may...{{dropped:9}}