[R-sig-ME] design matrices in MCMCglmm

Alexandre Martin alexandre.m.martin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 16:07:34 CEST 2015

Hi Jarrod,

Thank you for your help.
My question is now extended to the subject of associative indirect
genetic effects.

For example in this data set :
id    cage
a    1
b    2
c    1
d    1
e    2
f    2
g    2

cage is a grouping variable describing the composition of cages. For
instance, individuals a,c,d live in cage 1.

Design matrix Z_cage typically produced by MCMCglmm should be:
      c1   c2
a    1    0
b    0    1
c    1    0
d    1    0
e    0    1
f    0    1
g    0    1
where phenotype of individuals {a, b, ..., g} are linked to cages 1 and 2.

Design matrix Z_mates, however, linking the phenotype of individual i to
its cage' mates is:
      a    b    c    d    e    f    g
a    0    0    1    1    0    0    0
b    0    0    0    0    1    1    1
c    1    0    0    1    0    0    0
d    1    0    1    0    0    0    0
e    0    1    0    0    0    1    1
f    0    1    0    0    1    0    1
g    0    1    0    0    1    1    0

It is Z_cage that is given by default, whereas it is matrix Z_mates that
should be used to predict associative effects.

Is it possible to force MCMCglmm to work with Z_mates instead of Z_cage?

Thanks again!

Alexandre