[R-sig-ME] repeated measures on split plot design

Thierry Onkelinx thierry.onkelinx at inbo.be
Mon Mar 16 15:17:16 CET 2015

Dear Lea,

Much depends on how the observations are correlated. nlme handles
correlated residuals within the most detailed level of the random effects.
In your case it will assume some correlation structure among residuals of
the same block:veg combination. Residuals from different block:veg
combinations are assumed to be independent.

Autocorrelation as a higher level (e.g. block or even the main effects) is
not possible in nlme. The INLA package allows for correlated random effects.

You need to provide more information on the kind of temporal correlation
that you want to incorporate and at which level is should operate.

Note that you have not specified veg. block has only very few levels. It
might not be a good idea to use it as a random effect. See "Should I treat
factor xxx as fixed or random?" on http://glmm.wikidot.com/faq

Best regards,

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Forest