[R-sig-ME] Choosing appropriate priors for bglmer mixed models in blme

Josie Galbraith josie.galbraith at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 00:15:41 CET 2015

Thanks Ben,
I didn't have problems with singular estimates of variance components with
this data set.  However, I have a few other pathogens/parasites that I'm
looking at (I'm running separate models for each), and after looking at all
of them some do have zero variances for the random effect, either in
addition to large parameter estimates or alongside reasonable parameter
estimates.
Should I be also be imposing a covariance prior in either of these cases?

As a related aside, my data are collected from individual birds - captured
over 4 sampling rounds (6 months apart).  While the majority of
observations are independent, there is a small proportion of birds that
were recaptured in a subsequent sampling round (between 2–15% of
observations, depending on which response variable).  I have modelled my
data both both with and without bird ID as a random effect.  Including it
seems to cause more problems with zero variances.  Is this because too few
of the birds have actually been resampled?

Cheers,
Josie

--
*Josie Galbraith* MSc (hons)

PhD candidate
*University of Auckland *
Joint Graduate School in Biodiversity and Biosecurity ● School of
Biological Sciences ● Tamaki Campus ● Private Bag 92019 ● Auckland 1142* ●
P:* 09-373 7599 ext. 83132* ● E:* josie.galbraith at gmail.com* ● W: * UoA Web
Profile <https://unidirectory.auckland.ac.nz/profile/jgal026> and
*www.birdfeedingnz.weebly.com/* <http://birdfeedingnz.weebly.com/>