[R-sig-ME] extracting p values for main effects of binomial glmm

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 21:29:59 CET 2015

On 15-03-05 03:08 PM, John Maindonald wrote:
> An issue that has not been raised so far is whether the binomial or
>  other GLM type variance takes account of all relevant observation
>  level sources of variation.  This is pertinent for all
> generalised linear mixed models.
>
> Over-dispersed binomial or Poisson is in my experience much more
> common (certainly, e.g. in such areas as ecology) than binomial or
>  Poisson.  The effect on the variance can be huge, multiplying by a
>  factor of 3 or 4 or more.  More generally, the multiplier may not
> be a constant factor.  This issue is most serious for comparisons
> where the relevant variances are the observation level variances.
>
> With glmer(), one way to handle this is to fit an observation level
>  random effect; the multiplier is not then a constant factor.
> glmer() did at one time allow a constant multiplier.  I think it
> unfortunate that this was removed, as it restricted the options
> available.

  It was removed because we (Doug Bates in particular) decided that we
really didn't understand at a theoretical level what the quasi- model
was doing, and that it sometimes seemed to be producing unreasonable
outputs.  That doesn't mean it *can't* be understood at a theoretical
level -- in principle, it should act similarly to other conditional
response distributions with free scale parameters, which we do allow
(e.g. Gamma) -- but this is still on our very long list of things to try
to figure out.

> Using negative binomial errors is in principle another possibility,
> but such models can be difficult to get to converge.  If the model
> is wrong, it may well not converge, which is an obstacle to getting
> to the point where one has something half-sensible that does
> converge — this is the case for glm.nb() as well as for
> glmer.nb().

  For what it's worth glmmADMB (which operates in a general
optimization framework, not in a GLM-like IRLS mode) allows both NB2
(negative binomial parameterized in the traditional V=mu*(1+mu/k) way)
and NB1 (negative binomial parameterized so that V=phi*mu, as in the
quasi-Poisson case)

> With predicted probabilities that are close to 0 or 1, or Poisson
> means that are close to 0, the Hauck-Donner effect where the
> standard errors for Wald statistics become nonsense and
> z-statistics become smaller as the distance between means that are
> to be compared increases, is something more to worry about.

  Well in this case, just use profile confidence intervals or LRTs.  At
least it's usually pretty obvious when this is happening.

> I guess the message is that this is treacherous territory, and it
> really is necessary to know what one is doing!

  Yes; we have all of the complexities of linear models, GLMs (which
seem to be the issues you are pointing out here), and mixed models on
top of that ...