[R-sig-ME] Best way to handle missing data?

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (STAT) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Tue Mar 3 11:16:54 CET 2015

With MI, you do indeed average parameter estimates across the imputed datasets. And the way the SE for such an average is computed takes into consideration not only the variance of the estimate conditional on a particular dataset but also the variability across datasets. That's in fact the entire point of doing the imputation multiple times.

See, for example: http://sites.stat.psu.edu/~jls/mifaq.html#howto

One can apply that principle to any parameter estimate, even if this computation is not automated for particular models via a package.

Best,
Wolfgang