[R-sig-ME] Best way to handle missing data?

Ken Beath ken.beath at mq.edu.au
Fri Feb 27 22:47:42 CET 2015

On 28 February 2015 at 07:00, Bonnie Dixon <bmdixon at ucdavis.edu> wrote:

> Given that, I am now working on a multiple imputation solution for my
> problem, using either mice or Amelia, and will post again to the list once
> I have a working example.  (Apparently, I was wrong about mice only being
> able to impute one variable.)  How many imputations are needed?  Many
> sources online indicate that 3-10 is usually enough, and the default in
> both mice and Amelia is 5.

Others claim 20, and that seems to be more than sufficient for a lot of
problems. It will depend on what proportion of your data is missing, and
how dependent the outcome is on these. As you generally can't have too many
then I would start with say 20 and then try a couple of larger number and
if there is no change then 20 was sufficient.