[R-sig-ME] Best way to handle missing data?

Ken Beath ken.beath at mq.edu.au
Fri Feb 27 07:02:58 CET 2015

mice will impute the complete dataset, it just needs to have an imputation
method setup for each variable. See the example given in the help for
mice.impute.2lonly.norm

Full information maximum likelihood estimation (FIML) (Note for Landon,
this is ML taking into account the missing data) is only feasible if you
can reformulate everything as a structural equation model and use software
that can cope with this. Otherwise working with the integrals is pretty
much impossible. If there is something in the model that is nonlinear it
probably isn't an option at all. One of the great things about multiple
imputation is that you get it running with say 20 imputations and then run
it overnight with 200 or more and it probably won't change but you will
know that you have enough imputations. So FIML doesn't have an advantage in
that respect.

On 27 February 2015 at 16:20, Bonnie Dixon <bmdixon at ucdavis.edu> wrote:

> I actually did try mice also (method "2l.norm"), but it seemed that Amelia
> was preferable for imputation.  Mice seems to only be able to impute one
> variable, whereas Amelia can impute as many variables as have missing data
> producing 100% complete data sets as output.
>
> However, most of the missing data in the data set I am working with is in
> just one variable, so I could consider using mice, and just imputing the
> variable that has the most missing data, while omitting observations that
> have missing data in any of the other variables.  But the pooled results
> from mice only seem to include the fixed effects of the model, so this
> still leaves me wondering how to report the random effects, which are very
> important to my research question.
>
> When using Amelia to impute, the packages Zelig and ZeligMultilevel can be
> used to combine the results from each of the models.  But again, only the
> fixed effects seem to be included in the output, so I am not sure how to
> report on the random effects.
>
> Bonnie
>
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 8:33 PM, Mitchell Maltenfort <mmalten at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Mice might be the package you need
> >

> > On Thursday, February 26, 2015, Bonnie Dixon <bmdixon at ucdavis.edu>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Dear list;
> >>
> >> I am using nlme to create a repeated measures (i.e. 2 level) model.
> There
> >> is missing data in several of the predictor variables.  What is the best
> >> way to handle this situation?  The variable with (by far) the most
> missing
> >> data is the best predictor in the model, so I would not want to remove
> it.
> >> I am also trying to avoid omitting the observations with missing data,
> >> because that would require omitting almost 40% of the observations and
> >> would result in a substantial loss of power.
> >>
> >> A member of my dissertation committee who uses SAS, recommended that I
> use
> >> full information maximum likelihood estimation (FIML) (described here:
> >>
> http://www.statisticalhorizons.com/wp-content/uploads/MissingDataByML.pdf
> >> ),
> >> which is the easiest way to handle missing data in SAS.  Is there an
> >> equivalent procedure in R?
> >>
> >> Alternatively, I have tried several approaches to multiple imputation.
> >> For
> >> example, I used the package, Amelia, which appears to handle the
> clustered
> >> structure of the data appropriately, to generate five imputed versions
> of
> >> the data set, and then used lapply to run my model on each.  But I am
> not
> >> sure how to combine the resulting five models into one final result.  I
> >> will need a final result that enables me to report, not just the fixed
> [...]

*Ken Beath*
Lecturer
Statistics Department
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY NSW 2109, Australia

Phone: +61 (0)2 9850 8516

Building E4A, room 526
http://stat.mq.edu.au/our_staff/staff_-_alphabetical/staff/beath,_ken/

CRICOS Provider No 00002J
This message is intended for the addressee named and may...{{dropped:9}}