[R-sig-ME] estimating variance components for arbitrarily defined var/covar matrices

Matthew Keller mckellercran at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 23:05:34 CET 2015

Hi all,

This has been wonderful to follow, thank you very much to all who have
contributed!!

Quick clarification:
Z*Z' is fixed/known. VG is unknown and would be estimated from the data.

Another issue:
The number of individuals fit in these models is often very large (e.g.,
10K - 100K) because the variance of the off-diagonals of Z*Z' is tiny. Of
the above approaches suggested, are any able to work with datasets of this
size in a 'reasonable' amount of time? E.g., < 1 day?

Best,

Matt