[R-sig-ME] Problem- Warning message

Davide Bellone bellonedavide1 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 18:14:38 CET 2015

Goodevening,

this is my first mail . From what a collegue told me I can ask to the
members of this mailing list to help me with my problem.
So, what I am trying to do is a glmer model. I have 1 random effect (Site)
and 6 fixed effects.

Model <- read.table("c:\\TXT X R\\Tabella modello gruppi
completo.txt",header=T)
y <- cbind(Model$Rem, Model$Total-Model$Rem)
Model$wood <- as.factor(Model$wood)
Model$under <- as.factor(Model$under)
Model$Manage <- as.factor(Model$Manage)
Model$Size <- as.factor(Model$Size)
Model$Site <- as.factor(Model$Site)
obs <- 1:length(Model$Site)
obs
options(contrasts=c("contr.sum", "contr.poly"))
R1 <- glmer(y ~ Model$Manage + Model$age +  Model$veg + Model$Size +
Model$wood + Model$under + Model$age*Model$Manage + Model$veg*Model$Manage
+ (1|Model$Site)+(1|obs) , family= binomial)

The first output is:
Warning message:
In checkConv(attr(opt, "derivs"), opt$par, ctrl = control$checkConv,  :
  Model failed to converge with max|grad| = 1.02046 (tol = 0.001, component
3)

Can someone explain if there is some problem in data and if there is a
solution?

Thank you. I hope that my collegue told me the right way to how to use the
mailing list

Dävide