[R-sig-ME] estimating variance components for arbitrarily defined var/covar matrices

Jarrod Hadfield j.hadfield at ed.ac.uk
Thu Feb 26 17:41:56 CET 2015

Hi,

If the `genetic' matrix is pedigree derived (?) the matrix is a
correlation matrix (in the absence of inbreeding) or proportional to
the covariance matrix (with inbreeding). However, the matrix has a lot
of structure that can be exploited by *not* treating it as just
another correlation matrix. Specifically, the inverse of the matrix is
all zeros, except for the diagonal elements and those that correspond
to mates and/or parent-offspring. ASReml, WOMBAT, MCMCglmm, pedigreem
(?) + others all exploit this structure leading to faster more robust
results. For small problems this might not be an issue.

Cheers,

Jarrod

Quoting "Viechtbauer Wolfgang (STAT)"
<wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl> on Thu, 26 Feb 2015
17:24:39 +0100:

> And just to throw another package in the mix, you can also use the
> metafor package for this. While this doesn't quite sound like a
> meta-analysis, in the end, meta-analysis models are just
> mixed-effects models. And in a phylogenetic meta-analysis, we add
> random effects with known correlations matrices to the model.
>
> The syntax would be:
>
> id.e <- 1:nrow(dat)
> id.r <- 1:nrow(dat)
> rma.mv(y ~ <fixed effects>, V = 0, random = list(~ 1 | id.r, ~ 1 |
> id.e), R = list(id.r = GRM), data=dat)
>
> where 'GRM' is the n x n matrix of similarities. The V = 0 part
> seems a bit strange, but in meta-analytic models, we usually don't
> estimate the error variance and instead have known sampling
> variances (or even a known variance-covariance matrix of the
> sampling errors). Here, we don't, so we just set that part to 0
> (you'll get a warning that 'V appears to be not positive definite.'
> but you can safely ignore this). This will fit the model that you
> specified below.
>
> Besides the estimates of the fixed effects, the results will include
> two variance components, one for id.r (this is VG) and one for id.e
> (this is sigma^2_error). The default is REML estimation (method="ML"
> is you want MLEs).
>
> By default, rma.mv() tries to rescale the matrix supplied via the R
> argument into a correlation matrix. Not sure if your matrix of
> similarities is really a correlation matrix or not. In case you
> don't want the function to mess with the matrix, set 'Rscale=FALSE'
> and it won't touch it.
>
> Best,
> Wolfgang
>
> --
> Wolfgang Viechtbauer, Ph.D., Statistician
> Department of Psychiatry and Psychology
> School for Mental Health and Neuroscience
> Faculty of Health, Medicine, and Life Sciences
> Maastricht University, P.O. Box 616 (VIJV1)
> 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
> +31 (43) 388-4170 | http://www.wvbauer.com

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.