[R-sig-ME] estimating variance components for arbitrarily defined var/covar matrices

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 01:12:14 CET 2015

  I haven't actually tried any problems like this, but

1. in principle this is possible
2. There's a hack at
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19327088/reproducing-results-from-previous-answer-is-not-working-due-to-using-new-version/19382162#19382162
3. you might take a look at the pedigreemm package for another
example.  There *might* be something else in the Reverse
Depends/Suggests list at
http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/lme4/index.html , but nothing
jumps out at me.

  Steve Walker is in the very early stages of working on a
phylogenetic model with a similar structure.

  Looking forward to seeing what other people have to say ...

  Ben