[R-sig-ME] Differences in degrees of freedom between a mixed-effects model and a gls model using nlme

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (STAT) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Mon Feb 9 11:24:26 CET 2015

I don't want to derail this thread entirely, but it does make me wonder: Are people really concerned about calculating the "right" degrees of freedom in their applications anyway? I have pretty much stopped worrying about the software cleverly figuring out what the right dfs are, as I hardly ever deal with situations where there is a clear and correct answer to that question -- even in the designed experiments I see, unbalancedness creeps in in various ways, the most obvious one being missing data due to attrition (in Karl's example, there is of course a clear answer, but my question is more general).

I am sure that the type of applications one deals with has an influence on this matter. If you see nicely designed experiments with balanced data, getting the dfs right might seem like an important concern. Or if sample sizes are small (as in the number of individuals and/or number of repeated measurements), then it may matter whether the dfs are 10 or 100 for the conclusions you draw from a test (which, in the end, is then based, at least partly, on the p-value the software throws at you). But as far as I am concerned, I constantly (and grudgingly, with a lot of wishful thinking) need to rely on the asymptotic behavior of the estimates, standard errors, and test statistics every which way I turn anyway. Whether the dfs are 10, 40.5682..., or 100 is one of my least pressing concerns. If the conclusion doesn't pass the interocular traumatization test, I don't have much faith in it anyway.

I know that this has come up before, http://glmm.wikidot.com/faq discusses this as well, and the fact that lme4 doesn't provide p-values is, in essence, a statement in the same direction, but I am just curious about other people's opinion on this.

Best,
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Viechtbauer, Ph.D., Statistician
Department of Psychiatry and Psychology