[R-sig-ME] glmmadmb function

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 17:15:56 CET 2015

  In general, fitting models with link functions that allow
non-feasible results is difficult. In particular, the Gamma likelihood
is only finite for non-negative values of the x variable (only
positive values for some parameter ranges)).  So any inverse-link
function with a range that includes negative values is going to be
problematic; this includes the identity link as well as the default
(canonical) inverse.  It's interesting that it works for the default
in this case -- there are often problems, a log link is often much
more stable.

  Specifying starting values might help.

  Depending on your reasons for fitting a Gamma model, I often
recommend just log-transforming the response and fitting a linear
mixed model instead (i.e. that generally gives results very close to a
Gamma with a log link).

  Changing the directory doesn't make the model run any better, it
just dumps the output in a way that may make it easier for AD Model
Builder experts to figure out what's going on.

  Ben Bolker

On 15-01-28 04:57 AM, Simona Picardi wrote:
> Dear members,
>
> I'm using the glmmADMB package version 0.8.0 on R version 3.0.2
> (2013-09-25) to run the following mixed effect models with gamma
> distribution:
>
> mod1 <- glmmadmb(dist~test+(1|id),data=dataHS1,family="gamma")
> mod2 <-
> glmmadmb(dist~test+(1|id),data=dataHS1,family="gamma",link="identity")

In the first case, using gamma with the default link, everything