[R-sig-ME] Question regarding GLMMs and proportional data

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Thu Jan 22 09:55:43 CET 2015

Dear Rachel,

IMHO you should choose the most appropriate distribution depending on the nature of the response. If it comes for  a number of Bernoulli trails, then the binomial family makes more sense than the gamma. I presume that the denominator is integer? If the denominator is real, then the data generating process is not a set of Bernoulli trials.

I'm not sure if you can compare AIC among models with a different family.

Best regards,

Thierry

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature and Forest
Kliniekstraat 25
1070 Anderlecht
Belgium
+ 32 2 525 02 51
+ 32 54 43 61 85
Thierry.Onkelinx op inbo.be
www.inbo.be

To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of data.
~ John Tukey