[R-sig-ME] Comparison of crossed ranom effects: lmer vs. MCMCglmm

Jarrod Hadfield j.hadfield at ed.ac.uk
Wed Jan 21 10:41:22 CET 2015

Hi,

Yes, MCMCglmm fits two independent random effects.

Bayesian approaches treat the variance components as random variables,
and MCMC allows you to estimate their distribution. In general that
distribution is not known, but if the response is Gaussian, the prior
conjugate, and all fixed effects known, then the distribution is
scaled inverse-Chi-squared. This distribution is skewed, particularly
with low degrees of freedom.

(RE)ML does not posit a distribution for the variance components, it
simply finds the variance components that maximise the (restricted)
likelihood. Sometimes an approximate distribution for the *estimates*
of the variance components is posited: usually normal with mean equal
to the (RE)ML estimates. This approximation is based on high-n, but in
reality the sampling distribution will rarely be normal and will also
have skew.

The underestimation of the variance components via Maximum Likelihood
is a separate issue. This arises because the deviation of observations
from the estimated mean will always be smaller than the deviation of
observations from the true mean. REML corrects for this by accounting
for the uncertainty in estimated mean.

Cheers,

Jarrod

Quoting Linus Holtermann <holtermann at hwwi.org> on Tue, 20 Jan 2015
10:50:41 +0100:

> Thanks Jarrod.
> Just to be on the safe side, MCMCglmm indeed fits two independent
> random effects in the "mcmc"-specification? The different results
> emerge because the MCMC-Approach treat the variance components as
> random variables that capture more of the skewness?  It is often
> claimed that mixed models fitted via Maximum Likelihood
> underestimate the random effect variance.
>

> Best regards,
>

> Linus Holtermann
> Hamburgisches WeltWirtschaftsInstitut gemeinnützige GmbH (HWWI)
> Heimhuder Straße 71
> 20148 Hamburg
> Tel +49-(0)40-340576-336
> Fax+49-(0)40-340576-776
> Internet: www.hwwi.org
> Email: holtermann at hwwi.org
>
> Amtsgericht Hamburg HRB 94303
> Geschäftsführer: PD Dr. Christian Growitsch | Prof. Dr. Henning Vöpel
> Prokura: Dipl. Kauffrau Alexis Malchin

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.