[R-sig-ME] Modelling random effects for only part of the observations (in lme4)

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Fri Jan 16 10:16:01 CET 2015

Dear Karl Ove,

(X|G) is equivalent to (1 + X|G). Or mathematically: b_0i + b_1iX. But you need b_1iX.

The solution is to remove the random intercept (0 + X|G)

I would go for lmer(y ~ arm + (0 + b|gr2))

Best regards,

Thierry

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature and Forest
Kliniekstraat 25
1070 Anderlecht
Belgium
+ 32 2 525 02 51
+ 32 54 43 61 85
Thierry.Onkelinx op inbo.be
www.inbo.be
To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to say what the experiment died of. ~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher
The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of data. ~ John Tukey