[R-sig-ME] lmer or glmer?

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Tue Jan 13 10:32:40 CET 2015

Dear Michael,

Neither of the qq plots look terribly problematic. But don't just look at qq plots! Plot the residuals against the available covariates and see if there is any pattern.

Choose a distribution family based on the properties of the response. Poisson assumes non-negative integer values. So don't use Poisson if the response is continuous. You will need to tell us more about the response if you need help on that.

Best regards,

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature and Forest
Kliniekstraat 25
1070 Anderlecht
Belgium
+ 32 2 525 02 51
+ 32 54 43 61 85
Thierry.Onkelinx op inbo.be
www.inbo.be
To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to say what the experiment died of. ~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher
The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of data. ~ John Tukey