[R-sig-ME] Meta-analysis for heritability using MCMCglmm?

Jarrod Hadfield j.hadfield at ed.ac.uk
Fri Dec 26 07:58:13 CET 2014

Hi Jackie,

The data are not binomial they are continuous: a beta distribution is
probably most appropriate for continuos observations bounded by 0 and
1. However, although heritabilities are bounded by 0 and 1,
heritability estimates are not necessarily so, depending on the method
of inference (for example it would be possible to get a negative
parent-offspring regression, either by chance or through certain types
of maternal effect).

We have just finished a meta-analysis of h2 estimates and just treated
them as Gaussian. The distribution of the residuals wasn't far off and
I think the conclusions are robust to the distributional assumptions.
Have you checked your residuals - do they look badly non-normal?

Cheers,

Jarrod

Quoting Ken Beath <ken.beath at mq.edu.au> on Wed, 24 Dec 2014 12:30:03 +1100: