[R-sig-ME] R2 for Negative Binomial calculated with GLMMADMB

Jens Oldeland fbda005 at uni-hamburg.de
Wed Dec 17 21:17:33 CET 2014

Dear Douglas,

many thanks for your thoughts. I understand that R2 is not perfectly
correct for GLMs or anything more complicated. But still...

In my example, I calculated now these 20 negbin GLMMs and if anybody
asks me how reliable they are, I cannot tell. According to the AIC
thinking, I found the best of my candidate models, i.e. for each model
I checked all possible parameter combinations in order to identify the
"best" model (yes, there is no best model, and yes, searching a model
using this procedure is for sure not optimal). I can calculate AIC
weights which tell me how different my models are but not if the model
is any good.

How can I know? Are there any possibilities to check this? Plotting
observed versus predicted?

I mean, can I publish something without knowing this? I am an
ecologist, so I am not perfectly trained in statistics and also not in
assessing the quality of GLMMs.

Don´t worry, I am not in a bad mood while writing. just curious how
this can be solved.

best regards from Hamburg, Germany
jens

Mail: 	jens.oldeland at uni-hamburg.de