[R-sig-ME] (no subject)

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Thu Dec 11 11:21:52 CET 2014

On point 2, it is the random effects that are assumed to be normally
distributed.   You can use ranef() to get estimates of these.  Unless
however the design is pretty much balanced, the estimates can be
highly non-normal, because of the interplay between effects at
different levels of the design, or in a crossed design, different random
factors.  Also, think which random effects matter for purposes of the
model estimates in which you are interested.

In a classical design where one set of treatments are applied at the
level of plots, with perhaps another at the level of subplots, it is the plot
random effects that likely mainly matter for inference wrt treatments
applied to plots (and in that classical context, you probably have a
balanced design, i.e., all treatment differences estimated with similar
accuracy).

In severely unbalanced designs, maybe one can get somewhere by
simulating from the fitted model, plotting ordered simulated plot
effects agains the estimated effects, and hoping for a roughly linear
scatter.   Others may be able to comment — what literature is there
addressing this general issue?

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Mathematics & Its Applications, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.