[R-sig-ME] Need help with Random Effect specification: nested Random Effects and a_priori known regimes (MCMCglmm)

Linus Holtermann holtermann at hwwi.org
Tue Nov 25 17:52:25 CET 2014

Hello Jarrod,

I guess, that your suggestion a) might be the best choice for my model:

 prior_a <- list(R = list(V = 1, nu=0.002), G = list(G1 = list(V =diag(3), nu = 0.002)))
model_a <- MCMCglmm(y~ int + D2:int + D3:int + X + D2:X + D3:X,random=~us(regime):town, prior=prior_1a

int = intercept
D2 and D3 are dummy-variables indicating that district i is in regime 2 or 3

in this specification, we have random intercepts for int, D2:int and D3:int. So we can show the difference in town sepficic impact on district growth between the 3 regimes. The covariances give further Iiformation about the correlation between these impacts.

Is it possible to estimate an addidtional idependent random effect, that captures the unobservable county specific time-invariant effect? That is similiar to a classical random effect in Panel data models. It is important that both types of random effects are independent of each other and among themselves.

Bests,

Linus Holtermann
Hamburgisches WeltWirtschaftsInstitut gemeinnützige GmbH (HWWI)
Heimhuder Straße 71
20148 Hamburg
Tel +49-(0)40-340576-336
Fax+49-(0)40-340576-776
Internet: www.hwwi.org
Email: holtermann at hwwi.org

Amtsgericht Hamburg HRB 94303
Geschäftsführer: PD Dr. Christian Growitsch | Prof. Dr. Henning Vöpel
Prokura: Dipl. Kauffrau Alexis Malchin