[R-sig-ME] Approximation to Marginal Likelihood of GLMM in lme4‏

Ken Beath ken.beath at mq.edu.au
Mon Nov 24 22:55:04 CET 2014

It is in the package documentation, either Laplace or adaptive
Gauss-Hermite is available.

For optimization methods use a quasi-Newton (BFGS) if it works, Nelder-Mead
otherwise, I would avoid the others.

These are questions you should have been able to answer yourself.

On 25 November 2014 at 02:24, Lee Yan Liang <yanlianglee at live.com> wrote:

> Hi Ben,
>
> I suppose lme4 assumes the random effects has a multivariate normal
> distribution with mean vector 0 and
> a variance-covariance matrix. In that case, the marginal likelihood
> (obtained by integrating out the likelihood
> and random effect distributions) cannot be obtained in closed-form.
>
> I am not sure what type of approximations (quadrature, laplace, PQL etc.)
> do you use in lme4 for generalised
> linear mixed effects model? And do you have any good advice in choosing
> optimisers available in the package
> optimx?
>
> Thank you.

*Ken Beath*
Lecturer
Statistics Department
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY NSW 2109, Australia

Phone: +61 (0)2 9850 8516

Building E4A, room 526
http://stat.mq.edu.au/our_staff/staff_-_alphabetical/staff/beath,_ken/

CRICOS Provider No 00002J
This message is intended for the addressee named and may...{{dropped:9}}