[R-sig-ME] glmmADMB error messages with percentage cover data (Elwyn Sharps)

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 22:04:03 CET 2014

On 14-11-19 12:16 PM, Elwyn Sharps wrote:
> Hi Alain, Thanks for your reply. Sorry I hadn't noticed this section
> of the glmmADMB help file and as some of the models were running
> fine, I assumed there wasn't a problem with the family. Have you got
> any other ideas on how I can deal with the very large number of zeros
> in the data? As it's percentage cover rather than count data, I don't
> think I can use Poisson or Neg Binomial. Thanks again Elwyn

   A couple of thoughts:

 + I believe glmmADMB *can* handle zero-inflated binomials (I would try
testing with a simple made-up data set to check that the results are
sensible).

 + does your plant cover variable have a meaningful denominator?  (e.g.,
if you had point-count data with 100 points, or with a known number of
points)  If you're just taking a percentage that's assessed from a
visual impression, or e.g. a measure of area from remote sensing, then
you probably don't have a variable that's actually binomial (or
zero-inflated binomial).  A beta distribution might be more appropriate,
but it too would have to be zero-inflated.

  + errors of the sort you're seeing are due to some sort of an
instability in the model -- might be fixable with a more recent version
of the glmmADMB binary files, which are available but I haven't gotten
around to packaging in a new version yet.

>> Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 17:38:40 +0100 From: highstat at highstat.com
>> To: r-sig-mixed-models at r-project.org Subject: Re: [R-sig-ME]
>> glmmADMB error messages with percentage cover data	(Elwyn Sharps)
>>

>>> I have collected data on % cover of a variety of plant species on
>>> heathland (in relation to nesting birds) and am interested in
>>> testing the effect of density of grazing ponies, the proximity to
>>> nest site (%cover measured at 1 and 10m from the nest) and the
>>> age of the nest (as a control for vegetation being measured at
>>> nests of different ages). The response is percentage cover and
>>> contains many zeros (see attached data for an example).
>>>

>>> I have tried using glmmADMB, with family= binomial and zero
>>> inflation=T. The response was created using cbind e.g.
>>> y<-(cbind(Data$Plant_cover, Data$Plant_empty)), where Plant cover
>>> = % cover and Plant empty = 100-Plant cover.
>>>

>>> Example model:
>>>
>>> Fit1<-glmmadmb(y~Grazing*proximity+Age+(1|site),data=Heath,zeroInflation=TRUE,family="binomial")

See the help file of glmmadmb: