[R-sig-ME] Longitudinal Model

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Wed Nov 19 14:13:50 CET 2014

Dear Leonardo,

Your model seems reasonable in case of many sites and a continuous response. However, 3 levels is too low to get sensible estimates of the random effect variance (see http://glmm.wikidot.com/faq). Furthermore your response seem to be counts, for which the Gaussian distribution in not correct. You 'll need a Poisson or negative binomial distribution. nlme handles only the Gaussian distribution.

I'm afraid that you will have to go for some more complicated tools like the INLA package or JAGS.

Best regards,

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature and Forest
Kliniekstraat 25
1070 Anderlecht
Belgium
+ 32 2 525 02 51
+ 32 54 43 61 85
Thierry.Onkelinx op inbo.be
www.inbo.be

To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of data.
~ John Tukey