[R-sig-ME] Formula Explanation in lme4 Vignette

Emmanuel Curis emmanuel.curis at parisdescartes.fr
Fri Nov 14 14:38:19 CET 2014

Hello,

In lme4 formula syntax, random effects factors are on the right side
of the pipe (|). On the left side, you can have only 1 or other fixed
effects factors to include interactions between fixed effects and
random effects factors.

So this example does not violate your lecture, saying that a factor
can be with random or fixed effects, not both : Subject is the random
effect factor, Days the fixed effects, and Days | Subject introduces
an interaction between them --- that is, the Subject random effect is
different for each Days level.

Hope this helps,
Best regards,