[R-sig-ME] Multiple comparison correction?

Ahnate Lim ahnate at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 23:49:33 CET 2014

Hello,

I have a question related to mixed effect modeling and how to do multiple
comparisons.

We have a longitudinal study with different groups and many dependent
variables such as of brain cortical volume in different areas, etc.

I am using lme, and remember reading somewhere that multiple comparison
corrections do not actually apply to linear mixed effects models, due to
the statistics involved.

For example, if I run the same model on 100 dependent variables,
traditionally I would need to correct for multiple comparisons by dividing
the alpha level (0.05) by 100 to get the proper criterion of 0.0005,
adjusting for the increased likelihood of getting type I errors. I am
wondering however, if this process is the same, or even necessary at all
for lme models?

Thank you,

Ahnate