[R-sig-ME] Estimation Methods in lme4

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 02:13:08 CEST 2014

Mohd Masood <drmasoodmohd at ...> writes:

> Dear All
> I am looking for the methods used in the estimation in lme4 or for
> lmer and glmer commands. Please also share some literature related to
> this.
> What fixed- and random-parameter estimation method does the lme4
> package use for two-level linear and logistic regression models?
>
> Thanks
> Masood

  For lmer, you can look at http://arxiv.org/abs/1406.5823 .

  For GLMMs, we have a paper in progress but it's still in the
draft stage.

  You can look at Chapter 6 of
http://lme4.r-forge.r-project.org/lMMwR/lrgprt.pdf , but it doesn't
actually have too much on the estimation methods.

Slides from various of Doug Bates's presentations, e.g.

http://lme4.r-forge.r-project.org/slides/2011-03-16-Amsterdam/5GLMM.pdf