[R-sig-ME] comparing posterior means

Doran, Harold HDoran at air.org
Wed Oct 15 19:24:22 CEST 2014

Doug:

I grab the variance/covariance matrix of the random effects in a way that I think will make you cringe, but will share it here and am interested in learning how it can be done more efficiently. Keep in mind basically two principles. First, my lme.eiv function (which stands for linear mixed model error-in-variables) uses henderson’s equations as typically described and then stands on your shoulders and uses almost all of the functions in the Matrix package for sparse matrices.

BTW, though my function is not available in a package, I am happy to share it with you. It has complete technical documentation and is written using S3 methods with various common extractor functions typically used (and more). The function is intended to be used when the variables on the RHS are measured with error. Otherwise, my function simply matches lmer’s output.

So, let me use the following to represent the linear model as

Xb = y

Assume X is the leftmost matrix in henderson’s equation (so it is a big 2x2 blocked matrix), b is a vector holding both the fixed and random effects, and y is the outcome. The matrix X is big (and very sparse in my applications) and so I find its Cholesky decomposition and then simply solve the triangular systems until a solution is reached.

After a solution is reached (here is where you will cringe), I find the inverse of the big matrix X as

mat1.inv <- solve(L, I)

where L is the Cholesky factor of X and I is a conformable identity matrix. This, in essence, finds the inverse of the big matrix X, and then I can grab the variances and covariances of everything I need from this after the solution is reached.

Harold