[R-sig-ME] lme4 heteroscedasticity???

Paul Johnson paul.johnson at glasgow.ac.uk
Mon Oct 13 18:13:24 CEST 2014

I did this a few years ago for ~250 patients (nested within ~10 hospitals) being assessed by 7 adjudicators, so roughly a 250 x 6 table of crossed random effects. The aim was to look for differences in precision between clinicians rating patients on a symptoms scale. It did take a several minutes to fit on a server with 24 GB of RAM, and required a little fiddling with the control options, but was nevertheless worth the time and trouble. Looking back at my code (below), I find that your advice helped me to fit it, via a post of yours from 2004, for which thanks!

The model syntax is a little fiddly and easy to get wrong, so I’d advise anyone doing this for the first time to check that the results of the homoscedastic model match those from lme4, where the random effects syntax is straightforward, before fitting the heteroscedastic model.

       # fit models

        # extend number of iterations allowed

          control<-lmeControl(maxIter=500,msMaxIter=500,niterEM=250,msMaxEval=2000)

        # I want to fit three random effects, id crossed with adj and id nested within site
        # how to model this is  described by douglas bates here: http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/help/04/02/0830.html
        # beware - lme takes several minutes to fit these models - lmer is much faster but doesn't allow heteroscedasticity to be modelled

          mod.sep.adj.rancrossed<-
            lme(mrs~1,random=list(Block=pdBlocked(list(pdIdent(~adj-1),pdIdent(~site-1),pdIdent(~id-1)))),
              data=cars.rep,control=control)

        # fit heteroscedastic model

          mod.sep.adj.rancrossed.w<-update(mod.sep.adj.rancrossed,weights=varIdent(form=~1|adj))

        # get p-value for heteroscedastic model vs homoscedastic model

          (precision.p.val<-anova(mod.sep.adj.rancrossed.w,mod.sep.adj.rancrossed)[2,"p-value"])