[R-sig-ME] anova (lm, lmer ) question

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 21:04:58 CEST 2014

On 14-10-04 10:13 AM, Ben Pelzer wrote:
> Dear romunov, Ben and Ken,
>
> Thanks for your replies. From these I conclude that:
> - for linear (lmer vs. lm) models there's no problem in using the
> deviance difference
> - for generalized  linear models (glmer vs. glm) it's ok to use the
> deviance difference as long as nAGQ=1.
> Would you agree with me? Best regards,
>
> Ben.

  Yes, I believe so, but you might want to check the archives.  I think
I've posted examples to this effect in the past.  (The way to
double-check this would either be to set up an example where the RE
variance was estimated as exactly zero (e.g. a small/noisy data set with
a small number of levels of the grouping variable), or to extract the
deviance function via devFunOnly=TRUE and force the random effects to
zero -- for lmer this is trivial since the fixed effects estimates are
profiled out; for glmer you would have to put the deviance function
inside a wrapper function that set the variance parameters to zero while
filling in specified values for the fixed effects, and optimize over
this function ...)

  Ben Bolker