[R-sig-ME] anova (lm, lmer ) question

Ken Beath ken.beath at mq.edu.au
Sat Oct 4 02:38:12 CEST 2014

nAGQ=1 and greater than 1 give different results, and the nAGQ=1 matches
fairly closely the log likelihood from Stata for 3 quadrature points, so
presumably is correct. Stata's Laplace didn't converge with my data.

Ken

On 4 October 2014 09:06, Ben Bolker <bbolker at gmail.com> wrote:

> romunov <romunov at ...> writes:
>

> > FWIW, this is from the glmm faq site <http://glmm.wikidot.com/faq>.
> >
> > How can I test whether a random effect is significant?

> >    - *do not* compare lmer models with the corresponding lm fits, or
> >    glmer/glm; the log-likelihoods are not commensurate (i.e., they
> include
> >    different additive terms)
>
>   For what it's worth, I believe this is out of date, _except_ for
> glmer fits with nAGQ>1.  It should be possible to implement
> anova(<merMod>,<lm>/<glm>) -- it's only a nuisance (sadly, if we
> were still using S4 classes at this level it would be easier ...)
>
>   Ben Bolker

*Ken Beath*
Lecturer
Statistics Department
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY NSW 2109, Australia

Phone: +61 (0)2 9850 8516

Building E4A, room 526
http://stat.mq.edu.au/our_staff/staff_-_alphabetical/staff/beath,_ken/

CRICOS Provider No 00002J
This message is intended for the addressee named and may...{{dropped:9}}