[R-sig-ME] GPU computing with lme4

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 22:35:06 CET 2014

On 14-03-29 02:49 PM, Koen Neijenhuijs wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I know of a few R packages specifically tailored for GPU computing of
> models. I have not been able to find information on whether lme4
> supports any kind of GPU computing, either internally or externally
> (through third party packages/software).
>
> Is there anyone who has some information regarding this possibility
> and if it is possible, which GPU architectures might be compatible?
>
> Kind regards,

  I am not aware that lme4 supports any kind of GPU computing, which
means that it's unlikely that it does. Doug Bates might chime in.  I
would say that your best hope (although rather unlikely) is that someone
is thinking about how to get the Eigen package, which does the heavy
computational lifting in lme4 ...

  People looking for even more high-performance mixed model computing
might take a look at Doug's MixedModel package in Julia.

  cheers
    Ben Bolker