[R-sig-ME] A mixed effects model for variances of binomialprobability as a responsee

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 03:06:52 CET 2014

On Thu, 01-01-1970, at 01:00, nimrod.rubinstein <nimrod.rubinstein at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Ramon (and others reading this),
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> I'm attaching my real data - it has these columns:
> subject - subject name (S1, S2,...)
> group - group name (G1, G2) - a subject can only belong to either of the
> two groups
> environment - environment name (E1, E2, E3).
> the next 27 columns (named n.1-n.27) are the number of trails in each
> replicate
> the following 27 columns (named k.1-k.27) are the number of successes out
> of the number of trials in each corresponding replicate (so k.1 is the
> number of success out of n.1 trials, and so on).
>
> Note that there are NA values in corresponding n and k cells in the table.
> Also, not all subjects were sampled from all 3 environments due to
> technical problems, so the data are not fully balanced.
>
> I know this table is a bit different from my earlier description of the
> data. It is so only and it is because I wanted to make it simple.
>
> Let me try and clarify, and hopefully all of the below will answer your
> questions.
>
> What may affect the variances of the success probabilities (proportions)?
> 1. The proportion itself (natural to binomially distributed data). See
> attached Fig1 that plots sample variances of success probabilities vs.
> their sample mean.

But what are those variances? How are you computing them? (See below, though)

> 2. The number of trails in each replicate. As I said, the number of trails
> is inherent to the subject and the environment it was measured in, the
> experimenter has no control over it. As the attached Fig2 shows, subjects
> with a high average number of trials have lower sample variances of their
> success probabilities. The opposite however is not clear. The sample
> variances of subjects with a low average number of trials vary greatly. So
> obviously, the number of trails has an effect on the variance of the
> proportion but there's still a sizable fraction of variance (of the
> proportion variances) that are not explained by that.
> 3. The group - that's the effect I'm interested in. Fig1 and Fig2 show that
> the G1 dots have lower sample variances of success probabilities than G2
> dots.
> 4. The environment. These environments were chosen at random and therefore
> I think they should be REs. (In all attached figures the environments isn't
> indicated)
>
> I've also attached a figure of the success probabilities vs, the number of
> trials (Fig3).

Yes, I think the scenario I was concerned about is not here. Good.

> I think the figures show pretty clearly that both number of trails, success
> probability, and group affect the variance of success probability, and
> therefore the model I'm looking for should estimate all of these.

It is way too late here, but maybe we are using the same name (variance)
for two different things here: the variance of p, which is just a simple
function of the proportion, of the p itself, and the variance in the
collection of p's, where each p is not necessarily estimating the same
probability. And I think you care about the second problem, something like
saying that individuals in G1 and G2 have different dispersion in their
p's.  So you have a distribution for the p's of G1 and a distribution for
the p's of G2, and you want to know whether those distributions have the
same variance while also possibly controlling for other factors. I think
the book by Gelman and Hill has some examples of this kind (I do not have
it here now, though).

Best,

R.

Email: rdiaz02 at gmail.com