[R-sig-ME] repeated measures random effects structure

Lionel ga38tiv at mytum.de
Fri Mar 21 09:00:22 CET 2014

Dear Kevin,

The first model correspond to a nested nested random intercept of
replicates within generation, this means that the model will estimate
the standard deviation of the intercept between each replicates within
generation, I guess it will also estimate the overall standard deviation
of the intercept between the generation.
The second model is a random slope (of generation effect on your
response)+intercept of replicates, this time the model will estimate the
standard deviation of the intercept between the replicates as well as
the standard deviation of slopes of response vs generation between the
replicates. This modelling structure is similar to a fixed effect linear
model with one continuous variable, one grouping variable plus their
interaction.

These two models are therefore rather different, I would argue that your
first model would be more appropriate for your experimental design, you
should make sure that the replicate ID are unique over the generation.

Sincerely yours,
Lionel