[R-sig-ME] Modeling precision and recall with GLMMs

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 11:56:57 CET 2014

Hi Jake,

On Wed, 12-03-2014, at 04:54, jake987722 at hotmail.com wrote:

> Hi Ramon,

> I'm not sure that I fully understand the details of what you
> want to accomplish. But I do want to ask: you jump right into your email
> assuming that of course you want to model precision and recall, but what
> about modelling the data directly (i.e., individual classification
> decisions) rather than summaries of the data? Then you could work
> backward (forward?) from the model results to compute what the implied
> precision and recall would be

Sorry I did not provide enough details. I am comparing some methods for
reconstructing networks, and the True positives and False positives, for
instance, refer to the number of correctly inferred edges and to the
number of edges that a procedure recovers that are not in the original
network, respectively.

So the network reconstruction methods model the data directly, and what I
want to model is how good or bad are what they return as a function of
several other variables (related to several dimensions of the toughness of
the problem, etc)

> If you decided that modelling the data directly would work for your
> purposes, then one way of doing this would be to regress classification
> decisions ("P" or "N") on actual classifications ("P" or "N").

I am not sure that would work. For each data set, each method returns a
bunch of "P"s and "N"s. But what I want to do is model not the relationship
between truth and prediction, but rather how good or bad each method is (at
trying to reconstruct the truth).

> If this is done in a probit model, it is equivalent to the equal-variance
> signal detection model studied at length in psychology, with the
> intercept being the "criterion" in signal detection language (denoted c),
> and the slope being "sensitivity" (denoted d' or d-prime). It should
> definitely be possible to compute precision and recall from c and
> d'.

I am not familiar with this approach in psychology. As I say above, I am
not sure this addresses the problem I want to address but do you have some
pointer to the literature where I can read more about the approach?

Best,

R.

> This might be simpler with a logit rather than probit link
> function.
>
> Let me know if I have misunderstood what you are trying to
> accomplish

> Jake

>> From: rdiaz02 at gmail.com.> To:
>> r-sig-mixed-models at r-project.org.> Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 11:48:57
>> +0100.> CC: ramon.diaz at iib.uam.es.> Subject: [R-sig-ME] Modeling
>> precision and recall with GLMMs.> .

>>  Dear All,. .

>>  I am examining the performance of a couple of classification-like
>>  methods. under different scenarios. Two of the metrics I am using are
>>  precision and. recall (TP/(TP + FP) and TP/(TP + FN), where TP, FP, and
>>  FN are "true. positives", "false positives", and "false negatives" in a
>>  simple two-way. confusion matrix). Some of the combinations of methods
>>  have been used on. exactly the same data sets. So it is easy to set up a
>>  binomial model (or. multinomial2 if using MCMCglmm) such as.

>> cbind(TP, FP) ~ fixed effects + (1|dataset)

>> However, the left hand side sounds questionable, specially with
>> precision:. the expression TP/(TP + FP) has, in the denominator, a (TP +
>> FP) [the. number of results returned, or retrieved instances, etc] that,
>> itself, can. be highly method-dependent (i.e., affected by the fixed
>> effects). So rather. than a true proportion, this seems more like a
>> ratio, where each of TP and. FP have their own variance, a covariance,
>> etc, and thus the error. distribution is a mess (not the tidy thing of a
>> binomial).

>> I've looked around in the literature and have not found much (maybe
>> the. problem are my searching skills :-). Most people use rankings of
>> methods,. not directly modeling precision or recall in the left-hand
>> side of a. (generalized) linear model. A couple of papers use a linear
>> model on the. log-transformed response (which I think is even worse than
>> the above. binomial model, specially with lots of 0s or 1s). Some other
>> people use a. single measure, such as the F-measure or Matthews
>> correlation coefficient,. and I am using something similar too, but I
>> specifically wanted to also. model precision and recall.. . .

>> An option would be a multi-response model with MCMCglmm, but I am not
>> sure if this is appropriate either (dependence of the sum of FP and TP
>> on the. fixed effects).. . .

>> Best,

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte
Department of Biochemistry, Lab B-25