[R-sig-ME] Model is nearly unidentifiable with glmer

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 09:58:02 CET 2014

Dear David,

On Wed, 26-02-2014, at 01:26, David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Feb 2014, Ramon Diaz-Uriarte wrote:
>
>> http://ligarto.org/rdiaz/nearly-unidentifiable.tar.gz
>>
>> a small (230 KB) file with:
>>
>> - data
>> - R code to show the problem
>> - two runs of that code on different machines
>
> I don't seem to get those warnings when I run your "f02" ("very large
> eigenvalue") problem here - get the same parameter estimates (x86_64,
> lme4_1.0-6, Matrix_1.1-0).  The estimated RE variance is very small.

I think the main difference can be the version of lme4: I am using 1.1-4
(and Matrix v. 1.1-2) and I think between v.1.0 and 1.1 of lme4 there is an
increase in the reporting of warnings (I think I've got this impression
from messages in the list and from the comments at the github repository
---e.g., https://github.com/lme4/lme4/issues/120).

> Your cut-down "singularity" example gives a variance for dataSetID with a
> starting value for theta, eg glmer(nS ~ Method + (1|dataSetID),
> family=poisson, data = d2, start=0.01) - again v. small.

If I do that (again, using lme4 v.1.1-4 and of course with the
check.conv.singular set to "warning") I still get the "singular fit"
warning (though not if I use bglmer, from package blme).

Best,

R.

--
Ramon Diaz-Uriarte