[R-sig-ME] Specifying fixed residual variances for multilevel models

Vincent Dorie vjd4 at nyu.edu
Mon Feb 24 20:26:45 CET 2014

I'm not familiar with how lme works, but if the lmer formulation is sufficient then you can fit models of that sort using blmer in the blme package. Simply fix the common residual variance to one and supply the weights, at which point they'll behave as desired.

For example,

library(blme)
blmer(formula = y ~ 1 + (1 | group), weights = V,
      resid.prior = point(1.0), cov.prior = NULL)

Vince