[R-sig-ME] Pedigreemm on lme4-1.0

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Sat Feb 15 03:17:15 CET 2014

On 14-02-14 06:07 PM, Joehanes, Roby (NIH/NHLBI) [F] wrote:
> Hi Ben:
>
> The package could install and the examples in the manual could run.
> However, all the examples given in the pedigreemm technical paper do not:
> milk <- within(milk, sdMilk <- milk / sd(milk))
> fm1 <- pedigreemm(sdMilk ~ lact + log(dim) + (1|id) + (1|herd), data =
> milk, pedigree = list(id = pedCowsR))
>
> The error message is:
> Error in .sortCsparse(.Call(dtCMatrix_sparse_solve, a, b)) :
>   Dimensions of system to be solved are inconsistent
>
> The same goes to these examples (same error message):
> milk <- within(milk, idPE <- id)
> fm2 <- pedigreemm(sdMilk ~ lact + (1|id) + log(dim) + (1|idPE) + (1|herd),
> data = milk, pedigree = list(id = pedCows))
>
> fm3 <- pedigreemm(NCM ~ birth + calvingYear + (1|sire) + (1|herd),  data =
> mastitis, pedigree = list(sire = pedSires), family = "poisson")
>
> fm4 <- pedigreemm(mastitis ~ birth + calvingYear + (1|sire) + (1|herd),
> data = mastitis, pedigree = list(sire = pedSires),
>

> cf: http://www.journalofanimalscience.org/content/88/2/497.full.pdf+html
>
> Updating/recompiling Rcpp, RcppEigen, and lme4 do not help. I see no test
> codes at all in pedigreemm-0.3-1 package. As such, pedigreemm at the
> present state could only be used for toy examples. Or this could be a
> problem exclusively on my side.

  I don't think so, I can replicate your first example.

> Plus, I remember that I submitted a patch to allow specification of one
> observation per ID. It seems that the patch did not transfer over. I
> always get this error message:
> Error in checkNlevels(reTrms$flist, n = n, control) :
>   number of levels of each grouping factor must be < number of observations
> http://r-forge.r-project.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1928&group_i
> d=60&atid=300

  Your patch was appreciated, but superseded by fairly major
architectural changes we made. There is a fairly straightforward way now
to bypass this test:

control=lmerControl(check.nobs.vs.nlev="ignore")

This really should be done within the call in pedigreemm, but it can be
enabled globally as follows:

options(lmerControl=list(check.nobs.vs.nlev="ignore"))