[R-sig-ME] lme4: constrain sigma to 0

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Feb 13 20:11:19 CET 2014

On 14/02/14 09:22, Vincent Dorie wrote:

> Actually strike what I just said. Identifiability would get in the
> way more often than not and make it a terrible idea to implement in
> the general case.

I don't follow you here.  The problem, it seems to me, is that lmer()
insists on fitting an ***unidentifiable*** model, rather than the
perfectly legitimate identifiable model that is actually desired.

It seems to me that the desired model is the basic case of a repeated
measures model, whence (it seems to me) it is reasonable to expect to be
able to fit it in software for mixed modelling.

I know it is impolitic to say this on this mailing list, but ``SAS can
do it''.  (And without breaking a sweat.)

cheers,

Rolf Turner