[R-sig-ME] lme4: constrain sigma to 0

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Feb 13 20:04:31 CET 2014

On 14/02/14 01:22, Viechtbauer Wolfgang (STAT) wrote:
> Is there a particular reason why you would want to fit this with
> lmer() as opposed to gls() from nlme? In your demo script:
>
> res <- gls(y ~ time, correlation = corSymm(form = ~ 1 | student),
> weights = varIdent(form = ~ 1 | time), data=dat.sim)
>
> will fit that model.

Well yes.  As I said in my write-up, the objective is really to be able
to cross-check lmer() results with an alternative analysis that is
available in a simple case, to verify (one hopes) that one has the
lmer() syntax correct.

When I was actually faced with this problem, the data set and model that
I wished to fit were actually much more complicated than the toy model
that I discussed in my write-up.  The toy model was just a tentative
step toward seeing if I could handle setting up the model for lmer() and
understand/interpret the results correctly.  When the identifiability
issue arose, I'm afraid that I basically gave up on lmer().

cheers,

Rolf Turner