[R-sig-ME] lme4: constrain sigma to 0

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Feb 12 00:18:18 CET 2014

Several millennia ago I put in a feature-request that the facility for
constraining sigma to 0 be added.  So far, as far as I can tell, it
hasn't been.

Apparently it is (very) difficult to add such a constraint due to the
way that lmer approaches the maximization of the likelihood.  (This,
rather than any intrinsic mathematical block to such a constraint.)

I wanted to be able to fit a fairly simple repeated measures model with
the covariance over time being an "arbitrary" n-x-n positive definite
matrix (where "n" is the number of time points).  This can't be done
using lmer() unless one can constrain the "overall" variance to be zero,
otherwise the diagonal of the covariance matrix is un-identifiable.

Since one cannot constrain sigma to be 0, one can't fit this model with
lmer().  Bummer.

cheers,

Rolf Turner