[R-sig-ME] MCMCglmm model for heteroskedasticity at level one

Jarrod Hadfield j.hadfield at ed.ac.uk
Thu Feb 6 16:32:31 CET 2014

Hi Maxim,

I'm not very clear about the model you want to fit. If we take your
stackexchange model, do you wish to fit a random intercept-slope model
(with the covariate x1) at the country level and the residual level?

If so, then random=~us(1 + x1):country fits the country
intercept/slopes (with covariance between them). The between country
variance is quadratic in x1:

V_i + 2*x1*V_is + (x1^2)*V_s

where V_i is the variance in intercepts, V_s is the variance in slopes
and V_is is covariance between intercepts and slopes.

This change in variance with respect to x1 is where the information
comes from for estimating level-1 heterogeneity. If you fit (assuming
x1 is always positive):

idh(sqrt(x1)):units

in the *random* effect part of the model, and leave the residual part
as the default units, then the level-1 variance is linear in x1:

Vu+sqrt(x1)^2*Vs = Vu+x1*Vs

where Vu is the units variance, and Vs is the variance associated with
the random `slopes' in the random effect part of the model.  Clearly
you could transform x1 differently.

Not sure if this is useful?

Jarrod

Quoting Maxim Kovalenko <kovla123 at hotmail.com> on Wed, 29 Jan 2014
15:34:08 +0100:

> Dear all,
>
> I kindly ask the help of this community with the following issue. My
> research question is about individual-level variance of employment
> stability in several European countries. The number of countries is
> small (N=13), therefore MCMC is a more proper estimation method than
> ML. Variance on the country level doesn't interest me as much, but I
> do have to take it into account of course.
> When I run my model in R/MLwiN via R2MLwiN package, its formula is
> specified as approximately follows:
> y ~ (0|cons+careertype+gender) + (1|cons+careertype) + (2|cons)
> To decode: there fixed part contains the intercept, career type
> (more or less job mobility) and gender. Random effects on the
> individual level entail the constant and career type, whereas random
> effects on level to include only the constant. Therefore it is a
> random intercept model with heteroskedasticity on level one. For
> more details on this model please see
> http://stats.stackexchange.com/questions/83148/specifying-a-multilevel-model-in-mcmcglmm-r-that-is-heteroskedastic-at-level, I have included a screenshot there to give a better
> idea.
> Is it possible at all to estimate a similar model in MCMCglmm? I
> cannot figure out how to specify variance at level one to be
> dependent on one of the predictors.
> Thank you so much in advance for any tips!
> Kind regards,Maxim
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.