[R-sig-ME] Replicating SAS results in R with unstructured covariance matrix

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (STAT) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Thu Jan 16 00:14:30 CET 2014

It's been a while since I used SAS for mixed-effects model, but I think the model:

PROC MIXED data=Comb method=reml;
  CLASS FAC1 TIME SUBJECT FAC2;
  MODEL RESPONSE = BIAS FAC2 FAC1 TIME TIME*FAC1 / ddfm=Residual solution;
  REPEATED TIME / subject=SUBJECT type=un;
RUN;

can be fit with gls() using:

gls(RESPONSE ~ BIAS + factor(FAC2) + factor(TIME)* factor(FAC1), correlation = corSymm(form = ~ TIME | SUBJECT), weights = varIdent(form = ~ 1 | TIME), data=Comb)

TIME needs to be integer valued. SUBJECT should be a factor. ddfm=Residual implies that the fixed effects are tested with t-tests using df = n-rank(X) (where X is the model matrix), while gls() uses the normal distribution to compute those p-values. But this is a minor issue, except in those pesky borderline cases, but then again neither that t-distribution nor that normal distribution is exactly right and one should withhold judgement anyway.

It would be nice if you could provide feedback whether the syntax above did the trick.

Best,
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Viechtbauer, Ph.D., Statistician
Department of Psychiatry and Psychology