[R-sig-ME] R-sig-mixed-models Digest, Vol 85, Issue 6

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Wed Jan 8 01:04:02 CET 2014

On Wed, 8 Jan 2014, Cole, Tim wrote:

> The offending code is
> mod <- glmer(mat ~ log(DecAge) + Sex * Ethnicity + (1 | BHID), family=binomial, nAGQ=0, data=df)
>
> The error message is simple to generate with a
> trivial dataset, restricted to subjects with 2 to 4 records and both 0
> and 1 values for mat.
>
> mat is a binary mature bone measure, which for each subject consists of
> zero or more 0s followed by zero or more 1s, the 0/1 transition
> providing useful information about the age of maturity.

In your example, it looks like quasi-separation for mat v. DecAge in males
might be to blame (when I plot them), and:

library(glmmML)
glmmML(mat ~ log(DecAge) + Sex * Ethnicity, cluster=BHID, data=df,
        control = list(maxit = 2000))
[glmmml] fail = 1
Max. No. of iterations reached without convergence

Cheers, David Duffy.