[R-sig-ME] Need a help for glmer use.

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 21:59:07 CET 2013

  If you google "'what' must be a character string or a function" you get

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19801070/error-message-in-lme4glmer-what-must-be-a-character-string-or-a-function

as the first hit, which explains that this is a bug in lme4, fixed in
the development version of lme4, and that there is a very simple
workaround: delete any variable called 'new' in your workspace.

  sincerely
    Ben Bolker