[R-sig-ME] model specification for continuous environmental vars

Tim Howard tghoward at gw.dec.state.ny.us
Fri Dec 13 21:18:26 CET 2013

Seth,
Thank you for the pointers and help. I've found the Atkins et al. tutorial and
will go through it.

Based on the earlier responses, I'm finding success with glmmadmb as
well so I'm glad you are indicating the same. I'll continue down that path.

Your question to test and model specification with the anova test also helps, thanks!

Tim

>>> "Seth Bigelow" <seth at swbigelow.net> 12/13/2013 2:36 PM >>>
Re: the plant count & summits discussion:

-I've had good results with glmmadmb & negative binomial distribution,
though the zero-inflation addition has not worked, probably because of a
small dataset.

- Is slope incorporated into the calculation of solar radiation? If so it
might be feasible to drop one of these terms to simplify the model

- There may be a quadratic relationship with elevation and plant count, it
would be wise to test for this (e.g., make models with and without quadratic
elevation term and use <- anova(linearmodel, quadraticmodel) to test.

- the David Atkins et al. tutorial on count regression, often mentioned on
this list, is highly recommended

- one way of putting the questions would be, 'does the relationship between
plant count and elevation change from the first survey to the second?
Syntax:

glmmadmb(count~sample*elevation + solar.radiation + (1|summit), data=dat,
family="nbinom", zeroInflation=TRUE)

...and test this vs. the no-interaction model.

--Seth