[R-sig-ME] model specification for continuous environmental vars

Tim Howard tghoward at gw.dec.state.ny.us
Fri Dec 13 19:02:40 CET 2013

>On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 08:40:55AM -0500, Tim Howard wrote:
>> >From: Hans Ekbrand <hans.ekbrand at gmail.com>

>> >If you only want to test if there is a difference in plant density
>> >between yr1 and yr2, then I don't think you should include the
>> >environmental variables, since difference in the outcome that relates
>> >to changes in the environmental variables between yr1 and yr2 would be
>> >attributed to the enviromental variables and "hide" the actual
>> >differences in outcome between yr1 and yr2.
>> >
>> >mod <- glmer(count ~ samp + (1|summit), data = dat, family="poisson")
>> >
>> >would be more appropriate, I think.
>> >
>> >Inclusions of the envirmental variables should only be done if you
>> >want to explain differences between yr1 and yr2, not for estimating
>> >their size.
>> These are good points. My reasoning was that I need to control for these
>> variables somehow. What if I have higher densities in yr2 but it is completely
>> due to sampling -- that my plots happened to be at elevations where there are
>> higher densities? I want to remove the effect of differences in elevation when
>> testing for the differences between yr1 and yr2.
>
>OK, I thought about real changes between yr1 and yr2, not artifacts
>due to sampling. elevation and slope does not vary over time, but
>solar radiation could vary over time, I guess.
>
>If your research question is about changes over time, then why did you
>change the sampled areas between the measure points?

I am following the idea of Probabilistic Survey designs championed by USEPA (authors
are primarily Kincaid and Olsen, randomization method is GRTS using R package spsurvey). The main
idea is that you get an estimate of the target population through a random sample at T1 and then
another estimate of the population through a separate random sample at T2.

http://www.epa.gov/nheerl/arm/designpages/monitdesign/survey_overview.htm

Perhaps that was a bad idea! :)  But, it actually would have been VERY
hard to visit the exact same locations again and again so this approach does
make sense in this context.

Best,
Tim