[R-sig-ME] Always allow for correlation of random effects?

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (STAT) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Wed Dec 4 17:48:52 CET 2013

This can happen when the model fitting routine is hitting boundaries of the parameter space. For example, suppose the slope variance of Y is so close to 0 as to be essentially indistinguishable numerically from 0. Whether rho is then -1, 0, +1, or any other value is essentially irrelevant then (since the covariance is then also essentially 0). The routine will give you *some* value (and different routines may give you rather different values), but that parameter is not really estimable. This is what Thierry was alluding to when he said:

> This can be caused by having more complexity than the data allows. Note that the variance of the random slope is small.

Thierry, please correct me if I am misinterpreting your statement.

The profiled log likelihood for parameters that are not identifiable is essentially flat. Roughly speaking, this translates into a large SE for the corresponding parameter estimate. So, even with an 'estimated' correlation of -1, the test of that correlation may not be significant.

Best,
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Viechtbauer, Ph.D., Statistician
Department of Psychiatry and Psychology