[R-sig-ME] Fitting linear mixed model to longitudinal data with very few data points

David Westergaard david at harsk.dk
Tue Nov 26 03:45:19 CET 2013

Thank you both for your valuable input. Just to clarify, this is NOT a
clinical study. This is a first of its kind study, and we are
interested in generating hypothesis for further investigation and
experimental evaluation. We accept the limitations of our study, but
we have a need to estimate these things, given data. Especially
because the pattern that we observe makes absolutely perfect sense
biologically.

@Ben, you could put it like that, I guess. In truth, what we have
measured is the total gene abundance. We have then binned the
abundance of individual genes into categories, and its those
categories that we term Response values.

Are there any good introductions to working with contrasts in R? When
I search google, I just get hit by a massive amount of hits, and its a
bit overwhelming. Also, how would you suggest making the design?

Best,
David

2013/11/25 Ben Bolker <bbolker at gmail.com>:
> On 13-11-24 09:43 AM, David Westergaard wrote:
>
>> To summarise the data: From 2 subjects, 8 response values were
>> measured at time points T0, T1, T2, T3. At T1, subject 1 underwent
>> treatment. Subject 1 received no further treatment after T1.
>
>>> 1. Is there any observable effect after administering the drug (i.e.
>>> is the difference between response values significantly greater than
>>> zero)
>>> 2. If there is an effect, what is the effect size at each time point
>>> (i.e. what is the difference between response values)
>>> 3. How does the effect vary over time